Monday, October 4, 2010

New Echeverria/Hospital Adventure

So, by now most of you must already know that we have another little Echeverria on the way. What a crazy 4 days we have had!

Last Thursday I had a doctor appointment for a followup of some bleeding I had during exercise the week before. My first appointment Meg (the pastor's wife) went with me to translate and we discovered that the doctor speaks some English! (Woohoo!) Everything had been going well with the pregnancy since my first appointment. Thursday's appointment was the first appointment without Meg (who drove me in her car to the first appointment) and I was walking (pushing London in the stroller), and I discovered that I couldn't walk on the same road she drove on to get us there (more like an on-ramp to another part of the city--no sidewalk), so I had to find my own way to the doctor's office. Unfortunately, it was WAY farther away than I thought it was and it ended up taking me 45 minutes to walk there, most of the time thinking I was lost, and I was 15 minutes late despite walking as fast as I could possibly go without running. Well, that caused more bleeding so when I got to the doctor she sent me to the hospital. TOTALLY unexpected.

Meg came and got me from the doc's office and drove me to the hospital and when I got there they did another ultrasound and said that the placenta was trying to unattach (I think) and that I had to stay in the hospital for a WHOLE WEEK to be monitored and take some pills and get a shot. (I have a weird blood type that causes my blood to create anti-bodies against the baby's blood, thereby trying to destroy the baby).

It was a really stretching experience being in the hospital and not really knowing what was going on. Having done medical transcription for the last few years, it was hard not knowing all of the details, but I just had to trust the staff that they would take good care of me! I was also frustrated because I felt fine and 2 of the days I was there the nurses just came in once in the morning to take my blood pressure and temperature and just left me alone the whole rest of the day. Anyway, after 3 blood tests and another ultrasound this morning, they said that everything was fine and normal and I could go home!

THEN we had a whole fiasco with our insurance. Unfortunately, since we ended up getting this weird health insurance for foreigeners (since we couldn't get our visas without SOME kind of health insurance) the hospital said I had to pay my entire hospital bill in CASH before they would let me go home. It was over 1000 Euros. At that point I had an emotional break-down (I had held it together mostly the whole time up to that point). Thank goodness there is a wonderful lady from our church who is a doctor at the hospital in a different department who came to visit me last night and offered to come to the maternity ward and translate if I needed any help! I had to call her up 4 times today to help figure the money and discharge stuff out. We were only able to get 500 Euros today and the hospital agreed to let us pay the rest tomorrow. (David and Meg are going to loan us the rest since it takes DAYS to transfer money from our account in the US.) Now we have to work with our insurance company to be reimbursed, but we are just praying that they will do it! So far we have had a really hard time working with them. We are going to try to get different insurance.

Thankfully, in all this Meg was able to watch London for a few days so that Jason could still work (he still isn't getting enough hours to fully support us yet, so this was very important) and Meg and David also made a lot of phone calls for us trying to find out what was going on with everything.

Living in a foreign country is hard. We happen to live in the only pocket of German-speaking Europe that doesn't speak much English, so that is very stretching. Fortunately, I gained a new appreciation of how foreigeners in the US must feel and I also learned a bunch more German words and got to practice speaking a bunch (oh, the ways in which God answers our prayers!). Plus, I had a lot of time to listen to worship music, read my Bible, and just take it easy. I read 2 novels and increased my Sudoku skills.

All in all, we are feeling BLESSED that God is protecting our baby, that we have WONDERFUL family and friends supporting and loving us here in Germany and in the US, and that we are growing in ways we didn't expect.

Oh, also have to say that after ALL of this, I still don't know my due date. :) I really tried to ask. I will post it as soon as we find out.

6 comments:

  1. Amie, I am so glad they got the rh factor figured out in time to save your baby and you! We miss you dearly and love you, you are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am so glad the Lord was with you throughout this whole ordeal!! I am still praying the Lord's provision and protection on you, Jason, and London!! Excited for the new little baby on the way!! We miss you and pray God's blessing upon you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you were livivng in Germany!!! That is amazing! Why are you guys there? Sounds like an adventure! I am saving your blog so that I can keep up with you :) I miss you and think of you often! I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amie you are a trooper! God is with you over there! Speaking from expierence, being in a foregin hospital can be a exceedingly difficult expierence.
    Blessings on you and your family, We love you!

    Aunt Cindy and the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds crazy!!! Congrats on #2 though! I had some placenta issues with my first two so I'll definitely be praying that it stays right where it needs to! Love reading about all your adventures...makes me ready to travel again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amie, Janelle and I and the family, will hold you & your baby on the way, up in prayer. While all life's trials & tribulations aren't clear to us, we know that God's hand is over you. We believe that life's challenges makes us vulnerable and most important requires us to lean on others to help in any way we can. It certainly requires us to always lean on Him, and reminds us He's in control.

    ReplyDelete